While the reasons that people consider cosmetic surgery may vary, a successful procedure can offer benefits that you hadn’t realized before going into it. Cosmetic surgery is typically done to improve appearance and that’s considered the primary benefit of the procedure. But, improving your appearance is just one of many possible benefits that cosmetic surgery can offer.
If you’re considering having one of the many cosmetic surgery procedures available, here are 5 advantages of cosmetic surgery that you may not have thought of.
Improvements in Cosmetic Surgery
Cosmetic surgery should never be undertaken lightly. Often, there are concerns about the short and long-term effects of procedures but, over the last decade, cosmetic surgery has become more accessible and less expensive and advances in cosmetic surgery technology have made typical results nothing short of remarkable.
As well, many procedures have become less invasive with fewer side effects and shorter recovery periods. It’s not surprising then that an increasing number of men, as well as women, are turning to surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures to improve their looks.
If you don’t like the way you look because of a flaw such as a nose you think is too big or wrinkles that make you feel old, cosmetic surgery can make you feel better about yourself. If there’s just one area of your body that you want to have corrected, cosmetic surgery could be the solution to greater emotional wellness.
Besides improving your appearance, additional benefits may include one or more of the following:
- Increased Self-Confidence – There’s no denying that when you look good, you feel good and, for most people, that can translate into an increased self-confidence and a greater willingness to try new things or be more open in social situations. You may also be willing to participate in activities or wear certain types of clothing you previously avoided. A successful cosmetic surgery procedure may motivate you to set new goals and be more adventurous. You will definitely feel more comfortable in your own skin.
- Physical Health Improvements – With some cosmetic procedures, your physical health can improve along with your appearance. An example would be rhinoplasty or nose reshaping, which can improve breathing at the same time it improves the look of your nose. Breast reduction surgery, while improving body contour, may also relieve the physical discomfort of neck and back pain and skin irritation resulting from overly large breasts.
- Improved Mental Health –Cosmetic surgery can also improve your mental health. When someone is self-conscious about a certain part of their body or their overall appearance, they may have a tendency to hide themselves away. While this is a very common reaction, it can really hold you back in life. Some people feel less social anxiety after their surgery because of the new feelings of self-confidence their new look stimulates. It’s not unusual to become more willing to take on new challenges, feel in greater control of your life and take charge of your life in a whole new way.
- More Opportunities – Studies suggest that people who are more attractive enjoy more professional and personal opportunities. They’re more often selected for promotions and tend to earn higher salaries.
- Extra Weight Stays Off – You may find it easier to keep your weight down after liposuction or a tummy tuck. Positive results can motivate you to maintain a healthy diet and exercise program to keep your weight in check. A healthier weight means a healthier body and a reduced risk for some types of diseases.
Make it A Positive Experience
Several factors need to be considered before you have cosmetic surgery. It’s important to understand why you want it and what your expectations are. Find out what’s involved, what the expected outcome will be and understand that, while the procedure may improve your quality of life, it isn’t going to fix all of your problems. You need to think carefully about the results before you undergo any surgery.
As with any surgery, there are risks to having cosmetic surgery, too. You may have a reaction to the anesthesia and there’s a chance of infection or other post-surgery complications. You may even be unhappy with the way your surgery turns out after healing due to expecting results that are impossible due to your underlying structure or a surgeon who isn’t able to complete the dramatic transformation you were hoping for.
It’s important that you fully understand the procedure, have realistic expectations and find a board-certified cosmetic surgeon who comes highly recommended. Asking the right questions, finding the right surgeon and following instructions both before and after a cosmetic procedure can make a tremendous difference in the results.
Whether you want to have surgery for something you’ve always wanted to change, or if you just want to erase some wrinkles to make yourself feel younger, the extra benefits you could gain may surprise you.